Multipart/signed Email Handling
When a signed and/or encrypted email is loaded from a file or downloaded from a mail server, it is automatically verified and/or decrypted. The results are stored in various properties of the email object, and the email object is available in its unencrypted/unsigned form. This means that your application can process signed/encrypted emails in the same way as non-signed/non-encrypted email. The only difference is that the application might check these properties to see if the email was received signed or encrypted, if the signature was valid, etc. Here is a list of the email object properties involved:
- ReceivedEncrypted — True if the email received was encrypted.
- ReceivedSigned — True if the email received was signed.
- SignaturesValid — True if the email was received signed and the signatures were valid, otherwise False.
- Decrypted — True if the email was received encrypted and it was successfully decrypted.
- SignedBy — The signing certificate’s common name.
- EncryptedBy — The encrypting certificate’s common name.
- GetSignedByCert — Returns the certificate used for signing.
- GetEncryptedByCert — Returns the certificate used for encryption.